Adventures From The Bedrooms of African Women is pleased to announce that applications will open on January 20, 2021 for the 2021 Adventurous Writing and Social Media Fellowship Program. The aim of these fellowships is to seek out, support and amplify feminist content creators and their own singular vision. Two Writing Fellowships and one Social Media fellowship will be awarded. Each fellowship track will take place over a period of five months and includes:
- Editorial support from Adventures editors to prepare publications across our various platforms;
- A $400 monthly honorarium, for a term of 5 months ($2000);
- An opportunity for your work to be presented at the annual Adventures Live! Festival in November, 2021.
- Writing Fellowship
The first track of the Writing Fellowship will take place from April 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021 and the second track will take place from July 1, 2021 to November 30, 2021.
The Writing Fellows will be supported to write, edit and publish 4 articles per month for the duration of their program.
- Social Media Fellowship
The Social Media Fellowship will take place from June 1, 2021 to October 31, 2021.
The Social Media Fellow will be supported to create, edit and publish 3 videos monthly for the Adventures YouTube Channel.
Applications will be open for Fellowship submissions from January 20 – February 20, 2021, only. Submissions for the Fellowships close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on February 20, 2021. Successful applicants will be informed no later than March 5, 2021.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
The Adventurous Fellowship Program is open to women and non-binary/gender non-conforming writers and content creators of African descent living on the Continent who meet the following criteria:
- 18 years and above at the time of application submission.
- Values an intersectional feminist framework and demonstrates commitment to the principles of feminism and human rights anti-oppression.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse communities and be respectful of the identities and opinions of others.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in issues around women’s sex, sexuality and other related issues.
- Strong computer and IT skills, including using the Internet, Google suite, skype, calendar, emailing, word processing, spreadsheets, web posting using content management software including wordpress etc.
- The Social Media Fellow should be knowledgeable and comfortable with using social media tools and have experience of media engagement.
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Applications must be submitted through our application center via this LINK. There is no application fee. Your application must include the following:
- A personal essay containing a one-paragraph biographical statement; one paragraph explaining why women’s sexual rights, pleasure, health and reproductive rights is important to you and how you hope to impact the Adventures Community with your work as an Adventurous fellow.
- Samples of your writing of between 500 – 1000 words. These can be submitted as links or in .pdf or .docx format.
- Samples of your illustrations, graphics, audio/video content.