Adventures From The Bedrooms of African Women is pleased to announce that applications are now open for the 2023 Adventures Creators Program under the theme “Pleasure and Power”.
The Adventures Creators Program seeks to amplify feminist content creators and support their creative vision. Each creatorship track will take place over a period of three (3) to five (5) months.
Two (2) writing creatorships and one (1) visual arts creatorship will be awarded including:
- Editorial support from Adventures editors to prepare publications across our various platforms.
- A monthly stipend of 400 USD to support each creator throughout the duration of their program.
- Access to creative workshop sessions and mentoring support and resources.
- An opportunity for the creators’ work to be exhibited at the annual Adventures Live! Festival in November 2023.
We are looking for a fearless writer who is opinionated, highly expressive, pleasure-oriented and is not afraid to speak truth to power.
The Writing Creator will produce 4 pieces of long-form writing per month (1,000 – 1,500 word limit), on a range of topics that explore as many aspects of sex, sexuality, pleasure and intimacy as possible.
Visual Arts Creatorship
We are looking for an illustrator, graphic designer or photographer who uses images, color, shape and other visual elements as a form of expression. The Visual Arts Creatorship does not include visual art forms such as canvas paintings, printmaking, murals, sculpture, architecture, etc.
The Visual Arts Creator will have the freedom to use digital media to design and explore the realities and lived experiences of African women and gender non-conforming individuals.
Application submissions for the creatorship will be received from February 1 – March 15, 2023, only. The window for submissions will close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on March 15, 2023.
Successful applicants will be informed no later than April 17, 2023.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
The Adventurous Creators Program is open to women and non-binary/gender non-conforming writers and content creators of African descent living on the Continent, who meet the following criteria:
- 18 years and above at the time of application submission.
- Value an intersectional feminist framework and demonstrate a commitment to the principles of feminism and human rights anti-oppression.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse communities and be respectful of the identities and opinions of others.
- Demonstrate knowledge and interest in issues around women’s sex, sexuality and other related issues.
- Possess strong computer and IT skills, including using the Internet, Google suite, Skype, calendar, emailing, word processing, spreadsheets, web posting using content management software including WordPress etc.
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Applications must be submitted through our application center via this LINK. There is no application fee. Your application must include the following:
- A personal essay containing a one-paragraph biographical statement; one paragraph explaining how we can achieve collective liberation and self-empowerment through pleasure and how you hope to use your work to explore pleasure as political practice.
- Samples of your writing of between 500 – 1000 words. These can be submitted as links or in .pdf or .docx format.
- Samples of your illustrations/pictures, graphics, and audio/video content.