Theme: Your Creativity As Resistance
Adventures From The Bedrooms of African Women is pleased to announce that applications will open on January 15, 2022 for the 2022 Adventurous Social Media, Writing and Visual Arts (SWV) Fellowship Program.
The aim of these fellowships is to seek out, support and amplify feminist content creators and their own singular vision. Three (3) fellowships will be awarded with each fellowship track running over a period of five (5) months. These fellowships will include:
- Editorial support from Adventures editors to prepare content for publication across our various platforms;
- A $400 monthly honorarium, for a term of 5 months ($2000);
- An opportunity to have one’s work presented at the annual Adventures Live! Festival in November, 2022;
- Participation in the Adventurous Seminar Series.
Who are you? You are curious, love research and you are fire on the keyboard! The Writing Fellow will produce 4 pieces of long form writing per month, on a range of topics that explore as many aspects of sex and sexuality in the African woman’s context as the mind can conceive.
Social Media Fellowship
Who are you? You live for the ‘Gram, TikTok and YouTube. You’ve got opinions, wit and that certain “je ne sais quoi” and the world needs to hear it! The Social Media fellow will produce 4-5 videos a month with the goal of educating, dispelling myths and sparking conversations about African women’s sex lives, sexuality and experiences. You’re the star!
Visual Arts Fellowship
Who are you? You are an illustrator, graphic designer or photographer. You use images, color, shape and form to express yourself and explain the world as you view it. The Visual Arts Fellow will have the freedom to use digital mediums to design and explore African women’s realities and truths. The Visual Arts Fellowship does not include visual art forms such as canvas paintings, printmaking, murals, sculpture, architecture, etc
Application submissions for the Fellowships will be received from January 15 – February 28, 2022, only. The window for submissions will close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on February 28, 2022. Successful applicants will be informed no later than April 18, 2022.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria: ?
The Adventurous Fellowship Program is open to women and non-binary/gender non-conforming writers and content creators of African descent living on the Continent who meet the following criteria:
- 18 years and above at the time of application submission.
- Value an intersectional feminist framework and demonstrates commitment to the principles of feminism and human rights anti-oppression.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse communities and be respectful of the identities and opinions of others.
- Demonstrate knowledge and interest in issues around women’s sex, sexuality and other related issues.
- Possess strong computer and IT skills, including using the Internet, Google suite, Skype, calendar, emailing, word processing, spreadsheets, web posting using content management software including WordPress etc.
- Knowledgeable in, and comfortable with using social media tools and have experience of media engagement (Social Media Fellow).
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Applications must be submitted through our application center via this LINK. There is no application fee. Your application must include the following:
- A personal essay containing a one-paragraph biographical statement; one paragraph explaining what resistance means to you in the context of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) and Pleasure. And how you hope to use your creativity as resistance.
- Samples of your writing of between 500 – 1000 words. These can be submitted as links or in .pdf or .docx format.
- Samples of your illustrations/pictures, graphics, audio/video content.
1 comments On 2022 Adventurous Social Media, Writing & Visual Arts Fellowship Announcement
Pingback: 2022 Adventurous Social Media, Writing & Visual Arts Fellowship | Adventures ()